Linus Restoration: Major Project


This was a huge project. But I think you'll agree that it was worth it.  This is the finished product:
This is a better pic but before the front brake and custom reflective logo:
And before rack or right hand grip and medallion.


Sadly, I  didn't take enough before pics.  I get OCD and can't stop working on the project.   Its like I have to right the wrong and fix what is broken right away!  I'm trying to get better about photodocumenting.  Here is the broken down frame before stripping:

I used a DIY tool to spread the dropouts and align them with one like this:

Then I stripped the frame with "Aircraft" paint stripper. (no photos).  It worked stunningly well and fast.  Then primed the frame and fork with Rustoleum grey primer and painted with Rustoleum Smoke Grey:


I got better at painting uniformly but did have some sags with I sanded out later.
 While I was waiting for paint to dry on the numerous coats, I broke down the rear wheel, which was not turning.  I removed the spokes and hub.  Degreased the single speed coaster brake hub and set aside for a future rebuild project.   I polished the rim for reuse.

I rebuilt the wheel with a new Shimano Nexus 3 speed coaster hub to replace the 1 speed.  Lacing the wheel according to sheldonbrown.com was not easy, I made some lacing mistakes but generally got it right.   It was pretty amazing how true the wheel was before making refinements.



The Rustoleum color coat was super weak, so I used this epoxy clearcoat to give it a very strong, chip-resistant topcoat:
 Painting done, I pressed in a new headset with a DIY tool I learned from RJ The Bike Guy on Youtube.


 I replaced the bottom bracket since it was pretty cheap and the old one looked wack.  Plastic threads on one side?  Oh well.



When the crank and chain go on, it starts looking like a bike.  Particularly this attractive original crank and chainguard.


 Pedals,seat and bars really make it look like a bike :
After that I mounted the tires on the rims, Kickstand, rack, lights and  finally 3M reflective tape hand cut into a "Linus" logo. (Other side uses the "negative" of the letters.)

Comments

Popular Posts